You search the Internet and you’ll most likely find a plethora of tips and tricks on how you can strengthen your social media marketing strategies. But, it’s still surprising as to how many businesses and entrepreneurs commit the same mistakes over and over when it comes to how they use social media as a marketing tool.
Social media marketing is nowhere near the level of astrophysics or rocket science as far as difficulty is concerned. But, it does present certain obstacles and pitfalls that you must learn to navigate through, if you want to solidify your strategy and have a successful social media marketing campaign.
Below are some of the common mistakes that many businesses just can’t seem to avoid making. Hopefully, by learning about these pitfalls, you can learn to avoid them when you’re developing your own social media marketing strategy.
Avoid Making These Social Media Marketing Mistakes
1. Focusing too much on the number of followers. When it comes to social media followers, quantity is not really that important. What good are 10,000 followers if only a fraction of them are actually interested in what you have to offer? You are better off focusing on users that may actually find your business pretty useful and those who care about the products or services you’re offering.
2. Posting irrelevant content sporadically. Content is very important in social media marketing. If you want users to buy or even notice your products, you need to make your content more engaging and shareable. Likewise, you should also be consistent in posting good quality content if you want to develop a strong following.
3. Dealing with too many social media channels. Not all Facebook users have a Twitter account, not all Instagram users have a Snapchat profile, and not all LinkedIn users are active on Pinterest. Are you seeing the pattern here? Instead of investing all your time and resources on multiple social channels, why not focus on a few to maximize your ROI? Facebook is the biggest social networking service with the most number of active users. That would be a safer choice for a social media marketing campaign, don’t you agree?
4. Not being able to convert followers into paying customers. There’s only a small amount of users that are likely to make a purchase when they see ads on social media. So, having a good strategy for converting followers into paying customers is very important. The most common method is to include a strong and engaging call-to-action in your content.
5. Not establishing a solid brand identity/personality. People who use Apple products are cool and sophisticated. Those who eat Snickers are hip and fun. And the Axe man always gets the pretty ladies. These are just some of the brands that consumers identify with. How do your consumers identify with your brand? Establishing an identity for your brand is important in any platform, not just on social media.
These are just some of the common pitfalls that a lot of businesses fall into, even the well-established ones that are now just getting into the world of social media marketing.